· The term paper will require applying almost every theory you have studied in SOC 300 to a certain country. This is the most important part of your class.
· The difference between this paper and a regular country study is: in a country study we just talk about facts such as geography, population, government type, religion, etc. You will find tons of country studies on the websites such as Wikipedia. This is NOT what I am looking for.
The way to organize your paper is in the next page. I will not accept any other format. Basically try to write a paragraph or two in front of each section (1, 2, 3, …) Do not write an essay, or a country study copied from the Net.
Page 1: Dependency and Modernization theories
1. The definition of dependency and modernization theories (Handelman, page--)
2. One or both or none of the theories apply to country X (your subject of research)
3. This is why I think this particular theory explain the situation better in my subject country
Page 2: Religion and Politics
1. Definition of the impact of religion on politics, according to Handelman (Handelman, page--)
2. Different religions play different impact on the political system. For example, religion A is more prone to interfere in politics than religion B (Handelman, page--)
3. In my subject country, they believe in religion--.
4. It has influence on politics – This is why, and here is the example
5. It does not have influence on politics – This is why, and here is the example
Page 3: Democracy and Dictatorship
1. Democracy defined. Various forms of democracy defined (Handelman, page--)
2. Transition to democracy and consolidation of democracy (Handelman, page--)
3. Forms of dictatorship, authoritarianism, etc. (Handelman, page--)
4. My subject country is more of a dictatorship, this is why.
5. My subject country is more of a democracy type. This is the type of democracy that applies to it.
6. My subject country is in transition to democracy. This is why.
Page 4: Ethnic – Cultural Divisions
1. Ethnicity and ethnic and cultural divisions defined (Handelman, page--)
2. My subject country has –ethnic groups. These are the names of the ethnic groups.
3. My subject country does not have any ethnic divisions. This is how.
4. My subject country has ethnic divisions. They are in one of the four possible forms of ethnic interaction (Handelman, page--). This is why I think the ethnic groups are interacting in this particular way.
Page 5: Women and Development
1. Women’s occupations are generally in these areas, and this is the role in development (Handelman, page--)
2. Women in my subject country are not involved in politics and economy
3. Women are involved in economic and political life.
4. Women are/are not involved in leadership
Page 6: Global Issues
1. Water issues (Griffiths, page--)
2. International aid, and its impact on m country
Page 7: Revolutionary Change
1. Revolutionary change defined (Handelman, page--)
2. My country has gone under a revolutionary change. This is how, and when.
3. This is what the revolutionary leaders did after success.
4. This is how the country suffered/benefited from revolutionary change.
5. This is how it suffered
6. My country of research did not have any major revolutionary change. This is how.
Page 8: Soldiers and Politics
1. This is why the soldiers interfere in politics, and how they withdraw (Handelman, page--)
2. This is why certain type of military does no not interfere in politics (Handelman, page--)
3. In my country, the military has/is interfering in politics. This is how.
4. In my country, the military hasn’t/isn’t interfering in politics. This...
References: Burns, J.M. (1978). Leadership. New York: Harper & Row.
Bolman, L.G., & Deal, T.E. (1997). Reframing organizations: Artistry, choice, and leadership. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
Carver, J., & Carver, M.M. (1997). Reinventing your board: A step-by step guide to implementing policy governance. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
Kouzes, J.M., & Posner, B.M. (1988) The leadership challenge.
Morgan, G. (1986). Images of Organization. Sage Publications, Inc.
Simon, H.A. (1947). Administrative Behavior. New York: Macmillan.
Peters, B. Guy (1993). American public policy: Promise and performance. (3rd Ed.). Chatham, NJ: Chatham House Publishers, Inc.
Department of the Navy (1998). Marine Corps Manual. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document