How Montessori Environmet Differs Than Traditional Setup

Topics: Knowledge, Education, Educational psychology Pages: 3 (912 words) Published: March 21, 2013
Montessori environment differs from traditional education in many ways. Only a few of them are discussed below:

In a Montessori environment the support is given to the natural development of the human being. The emphasis is on cognitive (the emergence of the ability to think and understand) and social development. Whereas in a traditional classroom, prescribed or arranged blocks of knowledge are transmitted into the child. The areas to focus on are rote (memorization technique based on repetition) knowledge. It is as if the information is poured into the brain of a child without much understanding of the process. In Montessori setup the child is not just there in the classroom to listen and receive whatever the teacher is “lecturing” him about (without even understanding a word). But he is there to think and ponder upon the work that is presented to him. Why and how the child arrives at what he knows is just as important as what he knows.

In a Montessori classroom, the independent activity is 80 % of the work, and the teacher directed activity accounts for the remaining 20 %. The reverse is true for the traditional setup. When the child is in a Montessori class, he has shown the activity once (if needed it can be presented again) and then it is up to him to choose from variety of activities that he was shown earlier. The child is allowed to choose his work, take it to his work space and repeat it as much as he wants. This whole process calls for independence. In a traditional classroom, the teacher is the one who decides what the child has to learn, also the pace of the learning process as well as how the learning will take place. The teacher is in control of the whole scenario so most of the activity takes place through her.

Self corrected materials are used in a Montessori environment. A child relies on impersonal judgement that comes from his senses. Each material is prepared with control of error. Whereas an external force, means a teacher, is the...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • montessori Essay
  • Essay about montessori
  • Montessori Essay
  • Montessori Essay
  • Montessori Essay
  • Montessori Essay
  • Essay about Montessori Language Rationale
  • How is language encouraged in; Montessori prepared environment? Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free
The.Cloverfield.Paradox.2018.BDRip.AC3.X264-CMRG[TGx] | 다큐 플러스.E48.190203.720p-NEXT.mp4 | Ajouter au panier