GENERAL PAPER GUIDE (8004)
Following are the frequently asked essay topics:
It refers to unjust prejudicial/distinguishing treatment of an individual, especially on the grounds of race, age or sex.
Types of discrimination:
- Sex/Gender (Male/Female)
- Race (Black/Brown/White)
- Religion (Islam/Christianity/Hinduism/Judaism/Buddhism/Atheist) - Age (Adult/Student)
- Disability (Handicapped/ Non-handicapped)
- Dowry Abuse (women are burned)
- Physical harassment at workplace
- Acid Throwing (Deplix: Musarat Misbah in Pakistan)
- Head/Eyebrow shaved
- Taboo on women in developing nations
Famous examples of discrimination:
Turkish TV show FATAMAGUL
Gang Rape in India of 23 years old lady in bus on 16.12.2012 Promoters of I WANT FEMINISM CAMPAINGS (LUMS in Pakistan)
Malala Yousafzai: Shot by talibans for promoting women education. Shia/Sunni killings under the banner of ethnic/sectarian violence (Quetta attack 2012) Burning of 100 Christian houses in Badami Bagh in Lahore (March 2013)
Quotes on discrimination:
“I don’t mind if I have to sit down on the floor at school. All I want is education and I am afraid of no one.” – Malala Yousafzai “I had a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls.” – King Martin Luther “In the end anti-black, anti-female and all forms of discrimination are equivalent to same thing that is anti-humanism.” – Shirley Chisholm “Success sees no color.” – Bisma Ahsan
2. Social Networking Sites (Similar topics: Television/Mobiles) It is a platform to build social networks or social relations among people who share e.g. common/mutual interests and friends.
Commonly used popular sites:
Platform across the world in form of freedom of speech.
Source of going popularity e.g. Lilly Allen singer prompted her talent and likewise the Cheapmunks Organize events
Help in touch with celebrities
Find long lost friends
Help in winning prizes – Bundu Khan
Data mining: collecting information for marketing purposes.
- Privacy concerns: Fake accounts
- Cyber Bullying: Amanda Todd’s story of committing suicide - Personal Information easily accessed for blackmailing
- Online Trolling: Create violence through pages by disrespecting figures like Jinnah/Gandhi and Anti-Islamic videos on YouTube - Promote porno activities
- Wastage of time
- Creation of wants
- Addiction leading to health issues
- Hacking issues
- Copyrights and patents related issues
Quotes on Social Media:
“We lived on farms, then we lived in cities, and now we're going to live on the internet.” – Sean Parker from ‘The Social Network’ “A weapon does not decides whether or not to kill. A weapon is a manifestation of a decision already made.” – The cellist of Sarajevo “If you are not networking, you are not working.” – Danis Waitley “The way of the world is meeting people through other people.” – Robert Kerrigan “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – Augustine
3. Global Warming/Sustainability/Climate Change
It refers to gradual increase in earth’s average temperature due to effect of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, emissions from burning fossil fuels or from deforestation, which trap heat that would otherwise escape earth. Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Consequences of Global Warming:
- Rising Seas
- Changes in rainfall
- Melting of ice-caps
- Extinction of animals
- Bleaching of coral reefs
- Loss of planktons
- Developed countries require to cut back their emissions by a total of 5%-10% - US specifically needs to...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document