Carpet Industries in Nepal

Topics: Greenhouse gas, Nepal, Carbon dioxide Pages: 2 (375 words) Published: May 12, 2013
The art of weaving is an old tradition in the kingdom of Nepal, especially in the mountainous regions of the country. Radii, Pakhi, Bakkhu, Darhi are well known Nepalese products produced in these regions using indigenous wool. The marketing of these products has been confined to the domestic market.

The traditional designs of Nepalese-Tibetan carpets are basically influenced by Buddhism, but in recent years the Nepalese manufacturers have introduced modern designs and colors in line with present day market tastes. The traditional size has been replaced by a wide range of sizes and shapes such as round, octagonal and personal preference. The desired designs, styles and shades are the creation of local designers & engineers with regular feedback from the market. At present, 95 percent of the production of carpet is concentrated in the Kathmandu valley with the remaining 5 percent spread over a number of other districts of the country.

The carpet industries are considered to be among the high income generating industries in Nepal. These industries involve a number of people, providing work opportunities to sustain their lives. IIn this connectiom,it is important to address the issue of industrial pollution and to introduce preventive and remedial measures to minimize the impact on the physical and biological environment. Very limited investigations have been carried out on the adverse effects, so that currently the formulation of guidelines based on industrial pollution is very limited in Nepal. This study analyzes the effectiveness of the implementation of Environmental Management System (EMS) in the carpet industry in reducing energy consumption and in reducing GHG emissions for sustainable development and mitigation of climate change.

Various works and research have been carried out to determine the effectiveness of EMS implementation in the industries of Nepal, mainly in terms of reduction of resource consumption and maximizing outputs, but very...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • The Indian Carpet Industry Essay
  • Handicraft Industry in Nepal Essay
  • Essay about Carpets
  • Nepal Essay
  • Essay on NEPAL
  • Essay about Nepal
  • Analysis of Pakistani Carpet Industries Essay
  • Essay on Jail Industry in Nepal

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free
Kaleido Star: Good da yo! Goood!! English Subbed | Boku no Hero Academia 180 | Pierwsza miłość # (2004)